The Grand Junction
The first hotel in Bungaree was called The Grand Junction because it was built at the junction (or corner) of the main Ballarat to Melbourne Road and Creswick and Lesters Road. The Bungaree town was then known as the 'Warrenheip Junction'.
Spiv has a geological survey map of Bungaree published in 1870. It shows the Grand Junction hotel on the corner.
The hotel was first licensed by Samuel Persse on the 9th of September 1859. He got his licence renewed every year up until 1881
The Grand Junction closed in 1882, but the stables remained.
These were used to house Mr William McClelland's prized stallion Clydesdale horse.
Unfortunately there is no known photo of the Grand Junction Hotel.
It is thought that the Grand Junction and The Chalmers Store were the first business at Bungaree (Warrenheip Junction).
Click here to read about the Bridge Hotel.