Improvements to St John's
Improvements were continually added to the church as funds became available including:
- 1876 a six horse stable was built.
- 1884 a platform built in the hall.
- 1887 lamps installed in the church.
- 1911 an additional bay and chancery were built and the church extended on the north.
- 1915 an extra horse provided for the clergyman.
- 1919 a weatherboard house was purchased and moved from Scarsdale to provide a vicarage. It included a pantry, cellar and linen press and had a water supply to the kitchen, bathroom and wash house. The church chronicle described it as 'an imposing Vicarage and one that does credit to the parishioners of Bungaree.'
- 1920 the Shire Hall at Leigh Creek purchased and added to the Sunday School hall. A working bee was held to renovate the hall, Mr Herman Keeble and Mr Arthur Grigg were very much involved in the carpentry work.
- June 1927 the church suffers little damage from the cyclone.
- 1931 a vestry added in memory of the late Mr Alfred Rice.
- 1936 a cross added on the end of the church.
- 1940 electricity supplied to the vicarage and church. Mr Ritchie thanked for his untiring attention to the gas lights year after year.
- 1948 a new vicarage was built in Ballan and the Bungaree vicarage let out to tenants.
- 1968 the vicarage sold to Mr Ted Osborne for $60 who removed it.
- 1984 the Sunday School hall renovated.
- Many other improvements and additions to the interior occurred.
Click here to return to the Home page.