St Michael's of Bungaree
The Ballarat goldrush saw many Irish Catholics come to Australia to try and improve their fortunes. Many stayed on to become farmers around the Bungaree district. The volcanic soil was recognised as being particulary good for growing their favourite crop, spuds.
As many of the settlers were Catholic, services were gradually built, including a school, church and convent.
In 1871 land was granted towards the buiding of a Catholic church. Later in 1889 two acres of land was purchased which is the present site of St Michaels. A wooden church was opened here in 1893.