The Schools of Bungaree
Education has always been a priority for the township of Bungaree. The first school, next to St John's, was opened in 1866. This was followed by the first state school eleven years later in 1877. The second state school, which remains dynamic to this day, was opened in 1924.
Meanwhile a Catholic school had been established in .... This closed in ....
According to records, there was another school, number 3147, which was also known as Bungaree, but was renamed as Claretown, after that of the post office. See the extract below. The school was opened 1889, first called Bungaree, then renamed Badger Hill in 1893, followed by Claretown in 1909. It was closed 1914 due to lack of enrolments.
This extract below is from the book Vision and Realisation: A Centenary History of State Education in Victoria, 1973.
Click here to learn about the first Bungaree school.